Friday 12 December 2008

Can I really do TOO MUCH damage?

Patch 3.0.8 is on it s way, and the notes are now on WoWWiki.
Having a read this morning, it seems that there's going to be quite a few changes to the classes.
There's a nice long list of tweaks for pretty much every class in the game.

One that does worry me though is this: (The Hunter Nerf)

All Hunter pet abilities with a cooldown of 30 seconds or more are no longer
on the global cooldown.
Aspect of the
Wild
- This aspect is now raid-wide.
Call
of the Wild
: The benefit from this pet talent now applies to only
the Hunter and their own pet.
Deterrence: Design
changed to grant 100%
parry and 100% chance to
"
deflect" spells coming
from the front, but prevents the
Hunter from attacking.
Lasts 5 sec. 60 sec. cooldown.
Improved
Tracking
(Survival): This talent has been slightly re-designed. Now
reads: While tracking Beasts, Demons, Dragonkin, Elementals, Giants, Humanoids
and Undead, all ranged damage done to those types is increased by 1/2/3/4/5%.
Kill
Shot
– Cooldown reduced to 15 seconds, down from 35 sec.
Kindred
Spirits
: This talent now grants only 3/6/9/12/15% pet damage.
The coefficient of
Rake (Cat) and Scorpid
Venom
(Scorpid) has been lowered.
Readiness: No longer
resets the cooldown on
Bestial Wrath.
Steady Shot: Now
gains 10% of attack power as damage instead of 20%.
Serpent's
Swiftness
: This talent now grants only 2/4/6/8/10% bonus attack
speed to pet. The hunter attack speed bonus is unchanged.
Unleashed Fury:
This talent now grants only 3/6/9/12/15% pet damage.
Viper
Sting
: Now drains a percentage of maximum mana.
Volley: The
damage has been reduced on all ranks by approximately 30% (including attack
power scaling).

Overall that's a pretty big Nerf, and it concerns me. Not for the reason you might expect, yes I love doing major DPS, and I'll certainly miss 30% off my Volley ability.
When I'm in a dungeon with a good Pally tank, Volley has been known to put out up to 10k DPS on its own.

But most other Hunters I've teamed with can't seem to pull off the same level of damage that I can. And most often they've been at least a couple of steps further down the rankings. I'm not particularly well geared, but I use macros, and tweaks, and haste ratings and all sorts of little tips and tricks to ensure that my DPS is as high as it can possibly be. So why should Blizz care if a couple of Hunters like me can pull off impressive DPS, when the average Hunter is usually no better or worse than anyone else?

My build and play-style has it's disadvantages too. I'm almost always top of the rankings in PvE, but I suck totally at PvP. Anyone who's ever duelled me will back me up on that. Its not just that I'm not a PvP'er, my build is designed around doing the maximum amount of DPS from a distance, while my pet, or a helpful tank takes all the punishment.
The few times that I get aggro, and can't get rid of it, I drop like a fat-girl on bungee. Feign Death and Shadowmeld are my only reasons for survival in cases like this. And anything with enough intelligence to ignore my pet and come straight for me is going to own my arse in seconds.

Why is this any different to other DPS classes?

I've seen others who play their non-Hunter class with alot of skill, and despite being undergeared can still keep up with the crowd.

Losing a % point here and there isn't going to cause me much of a problem, I'm probably still going to out DPS many others, and I'll more than likely be level 80 by the time the patch hits, so it's not going to slow down my levelling speed. But I don't really see the need for such a big nerf.

Is the average Hunter really doing that much damage, or is it just a well-played few?

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say its the average hunter that is doing DPS equal to a well geared other dps classes. Been into several groups where ive blown every CDs off and keeping the best rotation and seeing the hunter spamming steady shot close to my dps. Normally I dont want nerfs to other classes, but wish the remaining classes buffed to the same level. Blizzard always choose the easy way out.

    The problem however as I see it, the pet of BM is doing 3/4 of a normal melee DPS along with a hunter who is designed again for situations where pet is not viable. If u combine those you get some big numbers. And in WoTLK the non-pet friendly fights are really scarce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lvl 78 BM Hunter, my pet usually only represents around 1/4 of my total damage, when grouped. (Solo, it's probably closer to 35%).

    I do around 900 - 1000 DPS and the pet does between 300-400.

    Yet an average geared level 80 Druid tank (Argas) caused almost the same amount of damage as my pet and myself combined.
    We were both miles ahead of the rest of the group, but that included a couple who were low-level, for the instance.

    If my damage is supposedly so impressive, surely a tank shouldn't be causing so much either? And have you ever seen a damage meter when Bolle is around!?
    Seriously... they're not tanks, they're like tactical nukes.

    You have to bear in mind the quality of people you're playing with too. Like I said, others hunters I've grouped with rarely match my DPS. Especially the PvP'ers. But there's been a few who have more then been upto the challenge.

    I think the class IS too easy to play, but I don't think it's too simple to master.

    ReplyDelete

So you've taken the time to make a comment?
Get on with it then.