Wednesday 13 May 2009

Surving as a Hunter

My recent re-spec to Survival has gone well.. very well in fact.

I'm jumping back up the ranking as one of the top DPS'ers again. It's taken a little while to get used to the new playing style. But if anything it's actually a little simpler than playing as a Beast Master.

On bosses / mobs where I'm allowed to stand still and nuke to my hearts content my DPS (probably thanks to the 'Sniper Training' talent) is awesome. It's a bit less impressive on fights where I've got to move around alot, but still holds its own.

Being used to BM I was used to a differnt shot rotation, and was still stuck on the idea that stings were important. As survival, they're not.
My BM rotation was:
Mark -> Sting -> Multi-Shot -> Steady -> Steady
As Survival it's now:
Mark -> Black Arrow -> Explosive -> Steady -> Steady -> Explosive

Using stings was actually lowering my DPS because of the global cooldown, and the fact that my new glyphs mean that I don't recieve the bonuses from it that I used to.
I miss my traps a little too, since I'm almost always spamming Black-Arrow, which shares a cooldown. But for the times when I do use a trap (when I have time to prepare) they're much more effective.

I managed 2.8k DPS on the VH heroic bosses last night, and can easily put out 2.5k on a target dummy. So it looks like the new spec is here to stay, at least until it gets nerfed.

I believe wolves make better pets for Survival Specs too, so maybe a new pet is also on the cards. I'll research that a bit first.

Edit: I'd better re-install Omen too. Before Vedd starts shouting at me. As BM it was almost impossible to over aggro as my aggro was 50% me and 50% pet... as Survival, my pet is just a side-show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So you've taken the time to make a comment?
Get on with it then.